Wisconsin Department of Children and Families

Protecting Children, Strengthening Families, Building Communities




Ways to Pay Support

While income withholding is the way most support is collected, there are other ways you can make a support payment. These options do not replace income withholding, but they are useful if you are self-employed, between jobs, or if you want to pay extra towards your past-due support. Whichever way you choose, all support must be paid through the Trust Fund. This is not only a state law, but this is the only way you can be sure that you get credit for your payments.

Income Withholding

Notices to withhold support are sent to employers. Your employer then deducts the support amount from your paycheck and sends the money to the Trust Fund for processing. Employers may charge a fee to cover their costs to withhold support.

Child support may also be withheld from unemployment payments, workers; compensation checks, pension payments, and Social Security Disability Income benefits.

Income Withholding Timelines

New income withholdings may take up to 30 days for support payments to start coming out of your paycheck. Here's how it works:

  • The child support agency sends a notice to the employer to withhold for support. This notice is usually mailed within 2 business days of a new court order, or after a reported change in employment.
  • The notice tells employers they must start withholding support in the first pay period after getting the withholding notice.
  • After the payment is withheld from the paycheck, the employer must send the payment to the Trust Fund within 5 business days from the withholding date. Mailing time may take 1-3 days.
  • The payment is processed on the same date it is received at the Trust Fund. The payment will be posted to the child support system overnight, and it can be seen on the Child Support Online Services website by the next morning.
  • After a payment is posted in the child support system, it may take another 2 business days to get to the family.

Once income withholding starts, payments should start coming in according to when the paying parent gets paid. Almost all employers issue paychecks weekly, every two weeks, or monthly. Keep in mind the employer has up to 5 business days to send the payment, so support payments will not always post the same day of the week.

Income withholding is also used to collect Receipt and Disbursement (R&D) fees. Withholding for R&D fees is only used when a parent does not pay the yearly fee in full or still owes R&D fees from previous years.

Additional questions parents ask about Income Withholding

Mailing Support Payments

Please include a payment coupon when mailing in a support payment. This ensures that your payment will be applied to your account.

When mailing your support payment:

  • Be sure to include the right coupon (regular coupon or R&D fee coupon)
  • Write your KIDS Pin or Social Security Number on your check or money order
  • Make check or money order payable to: WI SCTF
  • Send your payment and coupon to:
    PO Box 74200
    Milwaukee, WI 53274-0200

You may use one of these payment coupons:


If you have a question about your coupons, please call the KIDS Information Line at 1-800-991-5530.

Pay by Phone

A convenient way to pay for those who are self-employed. You can make a support payment anytime, from anywhere, by using a touch-tone phone.

  • Print and complete the authorization form.
  • After the form is completed and returned, an individual will receive a 4-digit access code to use the Pay-by-Phone service.

Find more information and instructions for Pay-by-Phone here

Pay Online

There are currently two ways to pay support online. The chart below outlines the two options. Before signing up for one of these services, please read the details about fees and payment timing below.

Disclaimer: These electronic payment products are offered by private companies. The Wisconsin Child Support Program does not receive the fees for these services.

  Expert Pay e-childsPay
How does it work? Pay with money transfer from your checking or savings account Pay with your MasterCard (no other credit card companies accepted)
Fees $2.50 registration fee, no additional fees for transactions 2.95% of payment
Timing Your payment may take up to 7 days to reach the WI Support Collections Trust Fund Your payment may take up to 7 days to reach the WI Support Collections Trust Fund
Website (sign up) www.expertpay.com www.e-childspay.com

Pay With Cash or Credit/Debit Card using MoneyGram

A convenient way to pay for those who want to pay child support with cash or card. You can make a support payment anytime, by visiting any MoneyGra)m location.

  • Flat fee ($3.99) regardless of child support payment amount
  • Pay using MasterCard, Visa, or bank debit card
  • Available at many national retail stores (Walmart & CVS as examples)
  • Safe, fast & reliable
  • Payments post to your child support account within 5 days

You'll need your child support PIN and receive code 14692 - WI Child Support for payments for the WI Support Collections Trust Fund.