MyWIChildCare EBT Card

MyWIChildCare Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) Card

The MyWIChildCare EBT Card is an electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card that acts like a debit card. When a parent is found eligible to receive Wisconsin Shares subsidy benefits and requests a child care authorization, the funds from the authorization are loaded onto the card and are ready to be paid out to the child care provider.

Click on the accordions below to better understand how the MyWIChildCare EBT Card works.

MyWIChildCare For Parents

Activating Your Card

After applying and receiving an authorization to your selected child care provider, your MyWIChildCare card will be mailed to you. The money available on the card is specific to your child care hours and care given at your authorized child care provider.

Instructions for activating your card and setting up your personal identification number (PIN) will also be found in the same envelope as your card. To activate the card, call the Fidelity National Information Service (FIS) customer service line (1-877-201-7601), or visit the ebtEdge website to create an account. The EBT card will be used for future authorizations. You will not need to get a new card for a new authorization.

Keep your personal information safe by remembering these important MyWIChildCare EBT Card tips:

  • Treat your card like a debit card. Never share your MyWIChildCare card, account number, or PIN with your child care provider or anyone else.
  • Keep your card in a safe place.
  • Do not write your PIN on your card.
  • Select a PIN that is difficult to guess.
  • Never share a photo, or copy of your card, account number, or PIN.  Email the Department of Children and Families at if someone asks for or takes your card or account information
  • Watch the Using Your MyWIChildCare EBT Card training video (also in Spanish) for more information. You can also find information about the MyWiChildCare EBT card on the What Parents Need to Know About MyWIChildCare fact sheet.

Remember: You are the only authorized person who can use this card.

When Funds Drop Off the Card

The MyWIChildCare card is loaded with a monthly amount for child care expenses based on your authorizations. The subsidy is intended to be used the month it is put on the card. Unspent funds will carry over into the next month, but any funds not spent within 90 days will drop off from the card. The payment system works on a last in – first out cycle.

For example, if you make a payment in June, the funds loaded in June are used first, even if you still have funds on the card from May. You need to use all of the June funds before May funds will be used. See the table below for further explanation. Note: Once funds expire, they will not be refunded or reissued by the state.

  • May (31 days in the month)
    • $100 loaded to your card on May 1
    • You spend $80 in May
    • The remaining $20 will drop off after 90 days
  • June (30 days in the month)
    • $100 is loaded to your card on June 1
    • You spend $80—June funds are used first
    • You have $40 remaining ($20 from May and $20 from June)
    • $20 from May expires in late July
  • July (31 days in the month)
    • No money is loaded in July
    • $20 from May expires on July 29
    • $20 from June expires in late August
  • August (31 days in the month)
    • No money is loaded in August
    • $20 from June expires on August 29

Note: It's okay if you do not spend the entire funds on your card - only pay what you owe. You should only be paying your provider the agreed upon amount (in your Provider/Parent Written Payment Agreement) that you actually owe.

To learn more about how you can pay your provider, visit the Fidelity National Information Services (FIS) MyWIChildCare Cardholder Payment Sample

MyWIChildCare for Providers

Fidelity National Information Service (FIS) is Wisconsin’s Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card vendor. Visit the ebtEdge website for more information. If you have questions about your business, (i.e. how and when payments will appear or if you are changing contact information), you can contact FIS by calling their merchant services line at: 1.800.894.0050 for assistance Monday-Friday.

Remember: The MyWIChildCare EBT card is meant only for the parent to use .