Overview of Child Support Services for Parents

Two young boys looking at a silver laptop screen.

Watch an overview about child support:

Financial Management Services

All families paying and receiving child support, family support, or maintenance get financial management services. These services may include:

  • Entering information about the court case and support orders into the Wisconsin child support computer system;
  • Working with employers to withhold income for support payments;
  • Processing payments;
  • Collecting, recording and sending payments;
  • Collecting, recording and sending fees;
  • Providing monthly account statements;
  • Providing payment coupons;
  • Providing different ways for customers to pay;
  • Providing a direct deposit and debit card option for parents receiving child support;
  • Providing payment information by phone and online
  • Correcting errors on account balances.

Case Management Services

Case management services are available for both the parent paying child support as well as the parent receiving child support. Case management services are provided by county and tribal child support agencies, and can be obtained by applying for services. After an application is received, the child support agency will provide case management services to you. These services may include:

  • Locating the other parent and his or her financial assets;
  • Scheduling genetic tests for the child and the potential father(s) of the child;
  • Preparing papers and taking the case to court to legally identify the father and set up a support order;
  • Ensuring that one or both parents provide health insurance for the child(ren);
  • Using all available and appropriate enforcement tools to collect support owed;
  • Reviewing the support order when necessary in case it needs to be changed; and
  • Ending the support order when necessary.

Note: Child support agencies do not handle custody and placement issues. For help with custody and placement, contact you local family court commissioner or attorney.