Child Care Provider Frequently Asked Questions for Wisconsin Shares

childrean at daycare
How do I set my business up to accept Wisconsin Shares?

If you are a child care provider who wants to accept Wisconsin Shares families, visit the Providers Who Want to Accept Wisconsin Shares Child Care Subsidies page to learn what you need to do.

If you are located outside of Wisconsin and want to serve families that use Wisconsin Shares child care subsidy, please read through the out-of-state provider information.

What happens to my authorizations when I buy/sell my child care center?

In the case of a program ownership change, program location change, or a program changing the type of care provided, providers must take a few steps to ensure that Wisconsin Shares authorizations can continue. Visit the Program Transition page to read about the steps.

What happens when parents overpay?

First, talk with the family and try to discuss the billing error and why it occurred. Use receipts and payment records to discuss the situation. Make sure families know what they are paying for and the period of time each payment covers. We encourage open and regular communication with your families to prevent overpayments and payment disagreements.

After discussing the error with the parent, the overpayment must be corrected. If you have determined you were paid in error, you can contact your local agency to report you have received more subsidy funds than authorized. It is against the rules to return the funds or give that money back to the parent in cash or anything that has cash value. The correction must not be made by providing cash back to a parent. Correcting the overpayment will require you to call a local authorizing agency to initiate the Voluntary Repayment process.

To learn more, read about the Provider/Parent Written Payment Agreement on the Wisconsin Shares Provider page.

How does the MyWIChildCare EBT card work?

MyWIChildCare EBT cards allow the parent to pay only the provider(s) listed on their authorization. A monthly subsidy amount is added to the card on the first day of each month. If the authorization starts in the middle of a month, the funds are usually available the next business day. The parent has up to 90 days to use the monthly amount. After 90 days, the unused balance will be removed from the card.

There are three ways for parents to pay you:

  • Visiting to authorize payments.
  • Calling 1-877-201-7601 to authorize payments.
  • In person by using a Point of Sale (POS) device.

The MyWIChildCare EBT card is meant only for the parent to use. It is a violation of the program for a you to manage the EBT cards for parents or any related confidential documents related to the benefit.

How do I get access to the Child Care Provider Portal?

The Child Care Provider Portal (CCPP) enables child care providers and centers to access information on authorizations and payments.

Download the Provider Portal Fact Sheet for an overview of the latest enhancements to the Provider Portal. The Provider Portal is open 24/7, and you can access it from any computer, tablet, or smartphone with an Internet connection.

Use the Provider Portal to help manage your child care business:

  • Update your prices
  • Check your authorizations
  • Review transactions
  • Send a request to end an authorization for a child who is no longer attending or has never attended
  • Report days (or weeks) that your child care program will be closed so a parent can request an authorization to an alternate provider during your closure
  • View certain Licensing/Certification, Registry, and YoungStar documents and details

View the Training Video or CCPP User Guide for further information on the new portal.

Request access to the CCPP.

What is Fidelity National Information Service (FIS)?

FIS is Wisconsin’s Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card vendor. Visit the ebtEdge website for more information.

If you have questions about your business, (i.e. how and when payments will appear or if you are changing contact information), you can contact FIS by calling their merchant services line at:

1-800-894-0050 for assistance Monday-Friday.

What do I do if a parent does not pay?

First, make sure that all families know your price. The department and your local child care agency will not resolve payment disagreements between families and providers. Child care providers will be expected to work with families to address payment errors or disputes. Disagreements should be handled one-on-one and in a confidential and respectful manner with families.

Providers should encourage parents to review their transaction amounts and payment dates online through the Parent Portal, EBT Edge, or by calling 1-887-201-7753 to speak to MyWIChildCare customer service, who can also help track down their transaction or payment history.

Provide receipts and log all payments received from parents. Make sure families know what they are paying for and the period of time each payment covers. You must communicate openly and regularly with your families to prevent disagreements.

What if I disagree with an overpayment?

If you do not agree with an overpayment issued by the department, you have the right to appeal the decision within the time frame indicated in your overpayment letter and appear before an administrative law judge to review the case. At the hearing, you and the department will present evidence and you have the opportunity to explain why you believe you do not have an overpayment. The judge will then make a final decision on the case.

What is a serious program violation?

Serious program violations include:

  • Falsifying or misrepresenting operation hours, employees, or attendance records
  • Misrepresentation of your YoungStar rating
  • Refusal of care or egregious closures of the facility
  • Egregious history of no access
  • Providers who make payments on behalf of parents. If parents need assistance accessing their funds/account, they should call 1-877-201-7753 or go to for assistance
  • Providing cash, goods, or any service besides child care to parents in return for payment

The first occasion of a serious violation could result in a fine, multiple instances of serious violations are categorized as Intentional Program Violations (IPV). The department will establish an IPV when one knowingly acts against policy to maximize their subsidy and/or for economic gain.

Watch the Provider Program Integrity Training video to learn best practices.