Frequently Asked Questions

Use this page to better understand overpayments. What they are, how they happen, when payments are due and how to manage the debt.

What is an Overpayment?

An overpayment is any payment of public assistance that you have received over your eligibility.

How does an Overpayment occur?

An overpayment may occur for several reasons including, but not limited to, fraudulent use of benefits, failure to report accurate household composition, failure to report accurate income, or agency error.

How do I make a payment plan?

A repayment agreement will be mailed to you separately. This agreement will outline the acceptable terms of repayment. Be sure to return the repayment agreement with payment by the 25th day of the month that the repayment agreement is sent. All payments are due by the 25th of each month.

When is my payment due?

All payments are due by the 25th of each month.

Where can I make a payment?

We recommend that you make payments from a checking or savings account through the free online payment system ePayment Center. Please have your PIN available, as you will need it to enter the e-payment system.

You may also make payment by check or money order. Please be sure to include your PIN. You can mail your payment to:

Public Assistance Collection Section (PACS)
PO Box 8938
Madison, WI 53708-8938
What is my PIN?

A PIN is a personal identification number that has been assigned to you. The PIN can be located on correspondence that has been sent to your from Public Assistance Collection Section or your local agency. If you are unable to locate your PIN, please contact Public Assistance Collection Section at (800) 943-9499.

How do I dispute the overpayment?

If you think this action is wrong, you may call your agency for an explanation. You also have the right to request a fair hearing through the Division of Hearings and Appeals.

To request a fair hearing:

  1. Ask for a hearing and/or a fair hearing request form at the agency shown at the top of your Overpayment Notice.
  2. Complete the fair hearing request form.
  3. Mail or Fax the fair hearing request form or a letter asking for a hearing to the Division of Hearings & Appeals, PO Box 7875, Madison, WI 53707-7875 OR faxed to the Division of Hearings & Appeals (608) 264-9885
My spouse and I both received notices, do we each owe the balance?

If both you and your spouse are listed as liable individuals for a claim, it is considered to be a joint and several debt. This means that each liable party is responsible for the entire amount of the overpayment. Collection from both parties will continue until the entire balance becomes paid in full.

How do I report fraud?

To report fraud please view the DCF Report Fraud page.