Wisconsin Department of Children and Families

Protecting Children, Strengthening Families, Building Communities




Noncustodial Parent Services

I am a parent, but my children don’t live with me. What services are available for me?

If your children don’t live with you, you are considered a noncustodial parent. Wisconsin offers many services to help low-income noncustodial parents become self-sufficient and able to pay child support.

Employment Services

If the other parent of your child is participating in Wisconsin Works (W-2) or receiving Wisconsin Shares child care assistance, you may be eligible to receive case management services through W-2. A worker at a W-2 Agency will determine if you are eligible. W-2 can help you with finding a job, keeping a job, or getting a better job. W-2 can also connect you with education and training to earn your GED, HSED, or a career certificate. To find a W-2 agency near you, please visit the Find a W-2 Agency page.


If you want to work, but don’t have the skills you need to succeed in the job you want, you may be a good candidate for subsidized employment. If you meet certain criteria, a local agency will place you at a work site to help you gain on-the-job experience. Subsidized employment for noncustodial parents is offered statewide. To locate an agency, please visit the Find a W-2 Agency page. Additional subsidized employment programs are available to noncustodial parents in the following counties: Ashland, Adams, Bayfield, Clark, Dane, Florence, Forest, Iron, JacksonJuneau, Kenosha, Langlade, Marathon, Menominee, Milwaukee, Racine, Rock (City of Beloit only), Rusk, Taylor, and Sawyer.

Cash Assistance

You may be eligible for a cash payment while you participate in activities to help prepare you for work. To apply for these payments, please visit the Find a W-2 Agency page. A worker at a W-2 Agency will determine if you are eligible to receive a stipend payment.

Job Access Loans

If you need to purchase supplies for work, or transportation to get to work, you may be eligible for a Job Access Loan. Job Access Loans can be used to cover expenses that will help you get or keep a job. You can repay these loans with cash, community service work hours, or a combination of both. To apply for a Job Access Loan, please contact your local W-2 Agency.