I Am An Adoptive Parent

family-fall-scene-3kids-mixed.jpgMany children in Wisconsin need loving homes and families. As an adoptive parent, you have helped those children by building your family through adoption. You may have questions or be in need of additional resources.

Wisconsin Adopt

Wisconsin Adopt is a great resource to:

  • Learn more about the types of adoption in Wisconsin,
  • Learn about children in Wisconsin who are waiting for adoptive families,
  • Find resources such as tip sheets, newsletters, a library, and events.
Wisconsin Family Connections Center (WiFCC)

The Wisconsin Family Connections Center

The Wisconsin Family Connections Center (WiFCC) is a statewide program that provides resources to adoptive families, as well as others with past or present involvement in the child welfare systems. WiFCC services include: 

  • Information, referrals, and support via phone, email, or in person
  • Trainings and conferences
  • Support groups
  • Free family networking events
  • Short-term case management
  • … and a growing catalogue of other resources and opportunities

For more information, visit the WiFCC website or speak to a staff member at 1-800-762-8063.

Medical Assistance (MA)

Your adopted child may be receiving medical assistance as a part of your Adoption Assistance Agreement. If you are having issues with your adopted child’s medical assistance, please call the number on the back of your ForwardHealth Card or call 866-666-5532.

Families are responsible for notifying the Department of Children and Families (DCF) by calling 1-866-666-5532 when there is a change of address.

Children cannot be certified for MA in more than one state.  If a family is moving to a new state, they must notify DCF as soon as possible to ensure continual MA coverage. The following process allows families to ensure continued coverage:

  1. The family must notify the Wisconsin MA contact at 1-866-666-5532 as soon as possible with their new address.
  2. DCF makes an Interstate Compact on Adoption and Medical Assistance (ICAMA) request for the new state to certify the child for MA. 
  3. Wisconsin cancels the MA effective the last day of the month that the family is in Wisconsin.

Families must notify DCF each time the family moves.  Families should note that it can take up to 45 days to obtain a Medicaid card in the new state.  Families should fill any prescriptions before moving out of state.

Request an Adoption Assistance Amendment or Reimbursement for Adoption Expenses of a Child with Special Care Needs

If you are receiving adoption assistance and feel the special care needs for your child has increased since the time of adoption, please call 1-866-666-5532.

To learn more about requesting reimbursement of nonrecurring adoption expenses, please see the brochure:


Do you have questions about your child’s enrollment in Care4Kids? Contact the Health Care Coordination Team at 1-855-371-8104.