Cash Assistance for Refugees

Have you recently resettled in Wisconsin and need cash assistance? The Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) program provides temporary cash assistance during your first twelve months in the United States while you:

  • Look for work;
  • Learn English; and
  • Become a part of your local community

 You may be eligible for RCA if you are a: 

  • Refugee;
  • Special Immigration Visa holder (SIV)
  • Asylee;
  • Cuban-Haitian entrant;
  • Certain Amerasian;
  • Victim of trafficking; or
  • Any other group eligible for refugee benefits under federal law

How do I apply?

Your local resettlement agency can help you apply for all programs in which you are eligible. You can also apply directly at a local Wisconsin Works office.

What if I need more assistance? 

If you are an older adult, have a disability, or are blind or have low vision, you may be eligible for the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, a monthly cash benefit program. To learn more about this program and apply, please visit the Supplemental Security Income in Wisconsin webpage