7.5.2  Case Management for Minor Parents (CMM)  Eligibility for Wisconsin Shares Child Care


The Case Management for Minor Parents (CMM) placement is for individuals who are custodial minor parents. A custodial minor parent (under the age of 18, male or female) is eligible for W-2 regardless of the minor parent’s living arrangement and his or her financial or nonfinancial eligibility status.


EXAMPLE:  Kerrie is the mother of Olivia. They live with Kerrie's mother, Sandra. Kerrie is 17 years old. Anthony, also 17 years old, is Olivia's father and Kerrie's boyfriend. Anthony lives in the home with Sandra, Kerrie, and Olivia. Sandra's income provides the household's only income and exceeds W-2 financial eligibility requirements. However, Kerrie and Anthony both meet all of the CMM placement requirements simply by being a minor parent regardless of W-2 financial and nonfinancial eligibility status and regardless of living arrangement.  


FEPs should provide individuals in the CMM placement with information regarding:

·        Available child care services;

·        Employment and financial planning;

·        Family planning services;

·        Community resources: and

·        Eligibility for BadgerCare Plus, FoodShare and other food and nutrition programs.

The FEP should counsel a minor parent living independently on the importance of living in an adult-supervised living arrangement and should discuss optional living arrangements such as living with relatives, beginning with the assumption the minor parent would live with his or her parents. When appropriate, a referral for the minor parent must be made to the county or tribal social/human services agency or another appropriate community based organization for assistance in finding an adult-supervised supportive living arrangement.  

If there is reasonable cause to suspect that the minor parent or a child of the minor parent has been abused or neglected, has been threatened with abuse or neglect, or that abuse or neglect will occur, the W-2 agency must make a report to the child welfare agency. By law, FEPs are mandated reporters of child abuse and neglect. Eligibility for Wisconsin Shares Child Care

Minor teen parents may be eligible for a Wisconsin Shares child care subsidy while attending high school or its equivalent when they are living independently or living in a supervised living arrangement, including living with a custodial parent who is in a W-2 Employment Position.  

A custodial parent who is enrolled in a W-2 employment position may be eligible for Wisconsin Shares child care subsidy and any minor teen parent in this household may also be eligible for a Wisconsin Shares child care subsidy. In order to be eligible for Wisconsin Shares, all W-2 eligible adults and minor teen parents must be engaged in activities as described in Child Care Policy Manual, Section 1.3.8 Participation in Approved Activities. W-2 agencies are encouraged to inform W-2 households with minor teen parents that they may be eligible for child care assistance and should encourage them to apply for this assistance at the local Income Maintenance agency.

Approved activities for unmarried minor teen parents include Learnfare, high school, or the high school equivalency. Approved activities for the adult may include any activity assigned by the W-2 agency as part of the W-2 employment position. The authorization for child care should be written to cover the overlapping times that the adult and minor teen parents are both engaged in an approved activity.



History: Release 21-07; Release 12-05.