Congratulations! You've taken the first step in becoming a YoungStar provider. We are here to help you on your journey of quality improvement. If at any point in the process, you are confused, need help or have a question, feel free to contact your local YoungStar office or the Child Care Information Center.
Step 1: Consider attending a YoungStar orientation training
If you are just learning about YoungStar, and want to know more, attend a YoungStar orientation session to find out details on ratings, support for programs, and micro-grants. Find training in your area!
Step 2: Choose whether or not you want someone to visit and rate your program
All programs participating in YoungStar can choose whether or not to have YoungStar staff visit their program to rate it.
- Option A: If you choose NOT to have someone come out to rate your program, after you complete and return a YoungStar Contract, your program will automatically be assigned a 2 Star rating (as long as you are in compliance) and receive 5% lower Wisconsin Shares reimbursement. If you would like to choose this option, simply continue by completing your YoungStar Contract.
- Option B: If you choose to have someone come out to rate your program, your program could receive between 2 Stars and 5 Stars (as long as you are in compliance). If you choose this option, please continue for your next steps.
- Option C: If your program is accredited by NAEYC, NAFCC, NAC, COA, or the City of Madison, your program will automatically receive 4 Stars or 5 Stars (as long as you are in compliance and the Department has received a copy of your accreditation certificate). Or, if you are accredited by NECPA and your staff education levels are at the 4 Star or 5 Star level, your program will receive 4 or 5 Stars, respectively. On your YoungStar Contract, choose OPTION C as your rating option. If you choose this option, continue by completing your YoungStar Contract. You may have to fax your certificate of accreditation to the Department of Children and Families at: 608-224-6178. Alternatively, you may email it to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Accreditation Certificate" in the subject line.
- Programs that receive funding from Head Start: Stand-alone Head Start programs without deficiencies from the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) will receive a rating of 5 Stars. For programs that provide both child care and Head Start services, eligibility for technical assistance and micro-grants will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If any portion of the funding and/or programming for your program/center is Head Start, choose OPTION A, B or C as your rating option and then check the box that begins "My program receives funding from Head Start and/or from a public school..."
- Programs that receive funding from a public school: YoungStar does not evaluate classrooms or times of day that are funded through a public school to provide 3-year-old kindergarten or 4-year-old-kindgergarten within a child care facility. If you receive these funds, choose either OPTION A, B, or C as your rating option and check the box that begins "My program receives funding from Head Start and/or from a public school..."