ACCESS TO PUBLIC RECORDS
The Wisconsin Department of Children and Families administers programs to assist Wisconsin's children and families, including W-2, child support, child care licensing, child care assistance, adoption search and assistance. DCF also administers child welfare programs, including the Division of Milwaukee Child Protective Services.
The following positions constitute state public offices:
- Deputy Secretary
- Assistant Deputy Secretary
- Administrator of the Division of Early Care and Education
- Administrator of the Division of Family and Economic Security
- Administrator of the Division of Management Services
- Administrator of the Division of Milwaukee Child Protective Services
- Administrator of Safety and Permanence
- Director of the Office of Urban Development
- Chief Legal Counsel
- Legislative Liaison
- Communications Director
All persons may obtain information and access to DCF's public records, or obtain a copy of those records. Certain information and records are not subject to disclosure. Continuing requests are not honored. Wisconsin Statutes Sections 19.31 - 19.39 govern open records.
You may request records orally, electronically or in writing. Make your request to Sara Buschman, Records Custodian, Room G200, 201 E. Washington Ave., Madison, WI 53703; firstname.lastname@example.org. 608-422-7068. Records may be requested Monday-Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
DCF gives open records requests high priority and provides requested records as soon as practicable and without delay. A reasonable time for response to any specific record requests depends on the nature of the request, the staff and other resources available to process the request, the extent of the request, and whether confidential material contained in the records must be redacted.
- Location Costs. Where the cost of locating a record exceeds $50.00, the actual, necessary and direct cost of locating the record will be charged. (§. 19.35(3)(c))
- Copying Costs. DCF charges $0.25 per page for each photocopy or scanned page.
- Shipping Costs. DCF charges the actual cost of shipping records to the requestor.
- Estimated Costs. When the total estimated cost for locating, redacting, photocopying and shipping exceeds $20.00, DCF may require pre-payment. The Department may waive costs below $20.00
If you have questions about obtaining public records, contact Connie Chesnik at email@example.com; 608-422-7040.