Department of Health and Family Services
Division of Children and Family Services

      DCFS Memo Series 2003 - 04
       February 12, 2003

            AND DATA ENTRY



Area Administrators/Assistant Area Administrators
Bureau Directors
County Departments of Community Programs Directors
County Departments of Developmental Disabilities Services Directors
County Departments of Human Services Directors
County Departments of Social Services Directors
Licensing Chiefs/Section Chiefs
Tribal Chairpersons/Human Services Facilitators


William R. Fiss
Acting Administrator


We have received questions regarding the recording of Long Term Kinship Care (LTKC) cases into the Web KCTS and WiSACWIS database systems, and would like to provide some clarification regarding this process.

LTKC cases are those in which a relative caregiver has been appointed guardian of a child under s. 48.977 (2), Stats., the relative and the agency enter into a written agreement, and Kinship Care eligibility has been approved. LTKC cases are considered court ordered cases, and, as long as the CHIPS order is in place, permanency planning is required. It is also necessary to record the case as court ordered in the database (i.e., KCTS or WiSACWIS) as long as the CHIPS order remains open.

If the CHIPS order is terminated and the Chapter 48.977 guardianship continues, it is necessary to change the data to reflect that the LTKC case is now considered a voluntary rather than court ordered case. Permanency planning is not required for LTKC cases where the CHIPS order has been terminated. Changing the case status data from court ordered to voluntary will better support the conversion of data from KCTS to WiSACWIS and inform the WiSACWIS that a permanency plan is no longer required for these cases.

In the respective database systems, please record LTKC cases with existing CHIPS orders as court ordered and cases with terminated CHIPS orders as voluntary cases.

Please note, that for payment and wait list purposes only, LTKC is considered court ordered for the life of the case. The county that has issued the guardianship order is responsible for the monthly Kinship Care payment for the duration of the guardianship and Kinship Care eligibility.


Regional Contact:

Area Administration

Central Office Contact:

Ruth Murphy
Independent Living and Kinship Care Specialist
Phone: (608) 266-5330


Kinship Care Coordinators


The Department of Children and Families, protecting children, strengthening families, building communities.