Governor's Early Childhood Advisory Council (ECAC)
The Governor's Early Childhood Advisory Council (ECAC) was formed as a result of the Head Start Reauthorization Act of 2007. This Council is building upon the work of the Wisconsin Early Childhood Collaborating Partners (WECCP), the Children's Trust Fund Board, the Partners for Wisconsin Economic Success, and the Governor's Birth to Three Interagency Coordinating Council.
The mission of the Council is to help ensure that all children and families in Wisconsin have access to quality early childhood programs and services. The Council responsibilities include:
- Conducting a periodic, statewide needs assessment concerning the quality and availability of early childhood education and development programs.
- Identifying opportunities for, and barriers to, collaboration and coordination among Federally-funded and State-funded child development, child care, and early childhood education programs and services.
- Develop recommendations for increasing the overall participation of children in existing Federal, State, and local child care; and early childhood education programs including outreach to underrepresented and special populations.
- Develop recommendations regarding statewide professional development and career advancement plans for early childhood educators in the state.
Early Childhood State Advisory Councils (SAC) work to improve the quality, availability, and coordination of programs and services for children ages birth to five. These councils are designated by each state's governor to facilitate the development or enhancement of high-quality systems of early childhood education and care, which are designed to improve school readiness.
Below are links that explain the history and background of the formation of these councils across the United States, and specifically in Wisconsin.
- Wisconsin Head Start Association
- National Head Start Association
- Wisconsin's Head Start State Collaboration Office
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Regarding State Early Childhood Advisory Councils
- Executive Order 269 to Create the ECAC - October 30, 2008
- Executive Order 6 to Continue the ECAC - January 21, 2011
Annual ECAC Report to the Governor
- Smart Investment 1 - Financial Commitment
- Smart Investment 2 - Financial Commitment
- Smart Investment 3 - Financial Commitment
If you wish to view ECAC Annual Reports prior to 2013, please use the "Contact Us" link below and request the specific year.