Children Quick Links:
- Adoption Records Search
- Child Protective Services
- Child Welfare Licensing Section
- Child Welfare Program
- Child Welfare Training System
- Domestic Violence
- Foster Care
- Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC)
- Independent Living
- Indian Child Welfare
- Kinship Care
- Safe & Stable Families
- Paternal Interest (Putative Father) Registry
- Subsidized Guardianship
- Title IV-E
- Child Welfare Complaint Procedure
- Contact Us
The Department of Children and Families and the Department of Health Services are partnering to implement a new program to provide comprehensive, coordinated healthcare to children in out-of-home care (OHC). Care4Kids will begin in the following counties in southeast Wisconsin on January 1, 2014: Kenosha, Racine, Waukesha, Ozaukee, Washington, and Milwaukee Counties. The state is contracting with Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin to provide the Care4Kids program in this area of the state.
What is Care4Kids?
- Care4Kids is a new Medicaid program that provides comprehensive and coordinated health care for children in out-of-home care, in a way that reflects the unique health needs of these children.
- Care4Kids provides children with primary care physicians who are trained in the needs of children in Out-of-Home Care, and also creates a team of professionals who coordinate care for the child.
- Care4Kids will develop a comprehensive health plan for each child that meets the child’s unique needs.
What is the goal of Care4Kids?
This new approach to healthcare will:
- Strengthen quality of care
- Increase access to care
- Improve timeliness of care
- Improve physical and mental health outcomes for children
- Promote improved resiliency
- Create stronger natural support systems for children in Out-of-Home Care
Who is eligible for Care4Kids?
- Initially, children entering out-of-home care through the child welfare system in Kenosha, Racine, Waukesha, Ozaukee, Washington, and Milwaukee counties.
- Children already in out-of-home care in these counties will be phased in at a later date
- Children placed in a Court Ordered Kinship home, a Level 1-5 foster home, or group home located in Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Washington or Waukesha county
- Initially, any child enrolled in the Milwaukee Wraparound program is not eligible for Care4Kids.
What benefits will children enrolled in Care4Kids receive?
- An Out-of-Home Care Health Screen within 2 business days of entering care
- A Comprehensive Initial Health Assessment within 30 days of entering care
- A mental health evaluation (if needed)
- All Medicaid-covered benefits
- Dental and Vision care
- Ongoing routine check-ups
- A Health Care Coordinator
- Preferred access to Child Advocacy Centers and Centers of Excellence
- A Comprehensive Health Care Plan tailored to the child’s individual health needs
- Ongoing Health Care for an additional 12 months after discharge from out-of-home care
Foster Care Program Planner
Department of Children and Families
201 East Washington Avenue
Madison, WI 53703
Telephone: (608) 261-8785
Fax: (608) 266-0260
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org