Child Care Certification
Background on Child Care Certification
State law (s. 48.651) requires counties/tribes to certify providers who receive public funding but are exempt from the licensing law. DCF promulgates rules establishing standards for the certification of child care providers and contracts certification functions to local counties and tribes. DCF Milwaukee Early Care Administration administers certification in Milwaukee County. Most counties have made certification available for all family day care providers, whether or not public funding is involved.
Benefits of Child Care Certification
Brochures on Child Care Regulations
Guide to Regulated Child Care - Summary of the Child Care Rules -
- Hmong: Koj Cov Lus Qhia Rau Kev Zov Me Nyuam Muaj Txoj Cai Tswj- Koj cov ntsiab lus ntawm kev zov me nyuam cov cai
- Spanish: Su guia para el cuidado infantil regulado - Su resumen sobre las normas del cuidado infantil
Your Child Care - Is it Legal? - Information that will help you determine whether a child care center must be licensed.
Certification Related Rules and Statutes
- DCF 202 - Child Care Certification
- DHS 12 - Caregiver Law (Previously HFS 12)
- Chapter 48 - Children's Code (48.651 and 48.685 pertains to certification)
- Chapter 68 - Municipal Administrative Procedure - appeal process
- Vehicle Safety Alarm Requirements
Certification Group Size Estimator
The Group Size Estimator is a tool that will help the user understand when a certified provider’s day care schedule may be in violation of the State of Wisconsin child care certification rules.
Provider Memos (Certification and Licensing)
This page lists memos that have been mailed to providers.
Additional Information on Child Care Regulations
- Child Care Licensing - learn more about the three categories of state licensed child care
- Nationwide Child Care Regulatory Information - read about licensing rules for Wisconsin and other states
Child Care Certification Forms
Forms Repository includes Wisconsin certification forms.
Subscribe to the Operation Memos List Serve to receive the most recent updates child care updates. An archive of published memos is also available.
Caregiver Law Related Sites
- Frequently Asked Questions (Certification):
- Background Information Disclosure (BID) forms - Updated 0
Other Child Care Related Links
- Carbon Monoxide Related Resources:
- Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)
- Communicable Disease Information