Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare
Complaint and Appeal Process

Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare Complaint Process

If you are unhappy with any aspect of our work, please feel free to speak with a staff member about your concerns. Many times, we find that an explanation of an action we have taken is all that is needed to resolve the problem.

If you feel that your rights or the rights of a child have been violated, or you have not been given the opportunity to carry out your responsibilities, you may file a complaint. No action can be taken against you, your children, or the children you care for because you have filed a complaint.

In partnering with the community, BMCW is also interested in hearing your ideas on how we can better serve the families of Milwaukee County. Families working with the BMCW have the right to make a complaint about actions taken or not taken.

Whenever possible, start your complaint in the BMCW program that you have been working with. Families are assigned to staff within different programs. The staff member provided you with a business card. Begin by calling the person listed on that card. If you do not have the business card and do not know the staff member assigned to you, call he BMCW regional office closest to your home. (Click on the Contact BMCW link below for addresses and phone numbers.)

Once you have contacted the assigned program staff member, tell him/her about the problem you are having. If the problem is not resolved to your satisfaction, ask that the complaint be sent to the supervisor. The supervisor will contact you within 48 hours and will help resolve the problem. If the supervisor cannot resolve the problem, he/she will take it to upper levels of administration for further resolution.

The supervisor may also ask assistance from the BMCW Client Rights Specialist. Or, you may call the Client Rights Specialist yourself after working with the supervisor at 414-220-7064.

If after talking with the BMCW Client Rights Specialist, you are not satisfied, you may take your complaint to the administrator of the Division of Safety and Permanence by calling 608-266-8787.

Contact the Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare

Last Revised: October 21, 2013

The Department of Children and Families, protecting children, strengthening families, building communities.