BMCW Quick Links:
- BMCW Home
- Report Child Abuse
- About BMCW
- BMCW Child Welfare Services
- Become a Foster or Adoptive Parent
- Milwaukee Family Resources
- Foster / Adoptive Parent Resources
- BMCW Staff Resources
- Careers in Child Welfare
- Milwaukee Child Welfare Partnership Council
Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare
Family Resources in Milwaukee County
(All external hyperlinks are provided for your information and for the benefit of the general public. The Department of Children and Families and the Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare does not testify to, sponsor, or endorse the accuracy of the information provided on externally linked pages. A listing on this page does not indicate an endorsement of the agency or service provider.)
General Referral Services
- 211 Impact: This online directory has up-to-date listings of community resources for Milwaukee County.
- Parent Resource Guide: Lists community resources in Milwaukee. In Spanish.
- Mental Health Association Online Directory.
- Clothing resource list.
- Christ Child Society Resale Shop Boutique, Low cost women’s, children's, and men's clothing, housewares, and linens. Our Lady of Good Hope Parish, 4033 W. Good Hope, Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m, 1st and 3rd Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Phone (414) 540-0489.
- Child Support: Milwaukee County, Unclaimed child support.
- Energy Assistance: A live Energy Hotline has been put into place to help answer questions about eligibility, status of pending applications, and making an appointment. The number, (414) 906-2800, will be staffed Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Those hours will be expanded during peak times of the Energy Assistance season. We Energies Assistance.
- Food Stamps, Quest Card (Food Share).
- House of Peace, clothing bank and other services.
- Legal Aid.
- Transitional Housing.
- WIC Women Infants and Children food assistance.
Wisconsin Works W-2 economic
assistance. Note that the enrollment process for W-2 has changed. You must enroll
at the center that services the area where you live.
Map. The address and phone numbers
are listed below:
- UMOS, phone (414) 389-5600, 2701 S. Chase Drive.
- America Works (YWCA), phone (414) 267-3900, 915 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.
- Maximus, phone (414) 203-8500, Eaton Building, 4201 N. 27th Street.
- Ross Innovative Employment Solutions, phone (414) 760-6060, 6550 N. 76th Street.
- Child care online registration or phone (800) 947-6583. How to apply online.
- Kinship Care program - Non-court ordered enrollment call Professional Services Group at (414) 475-4200. Application for Milwaukee County residents only. Spanish application. Hmong application.
- Online database of licensed child care centers.
- Recreation Day Camps in Milwaukee.
- Wisconsin Early Childhood Association (WECA): Phone (414) 562-2676 or (800) 498-KIDS for referrals to licensed day care providers.
- Youth Resources
Developmental Disabilities (See also Health Care)
- Alianza Latina Aplicando Soluciones (A.L.A.S.), Inc. (Latino Alliance Applying Solutions) Promotes the independence of persons with disabilities and assists families. Service in Spanish.
- Birth to Three: Directory for Milwaukee County.
- Bureau of Long-Term Support: Children's Services, Community Options, Developmental Disabilities.
- Independence First: Provide services to adults and children with disabilities.
- Milwaukee Center for Independence: Provides services to adults and children with disabilities. Recreational activities for youth with special needs.
- Wisconsin Family Assistance Center for Education, Training & Support, Inc. (WI FACETS): A nonprofit organization serving Wisconsin children and adults with disabilities, their families and those who support them.
- The ALMA Center and the Healing Center work with men who are charged with battery or domestic violence and AODA issues. They also have programs for victims.
- Arco Iris provides Spanish/English services for children who have been victims of or exposed to domestic violence.
- Asha Family Services: Phone (414) 875-1511, 3719 W. Center Street, Milwaukee, WI 53210.
- Directory of Anti-Violence Efforts in Milwaukee County.
- Hmong Domestic Violence Helpline: Phone (877) 340-4292. Shelter for women and children. Referral to culturally relevant family counseling and services for men. Hmong American Women’s Association.
- Milwaukee Women's Center: Phone (414) 671-6140. Provides a batterer’s treatment program and two 24 hour shelters with case management and children’s programs. The shelters house people up to and including 17 years of age. Elder abuse program for women 50 plus. Accessible facility for individuals with disabilities. Drug and alcohol education.
- Sojourner Family Peace Center: Phone (414) 933-2722 for questions and referrals. Provides shelter to victims and children and services to batterers.
- UMOS Latina Resource Center provides services to victims of domestic violence as well as sexual assault. Work with both women and children of all ages. Programs on legal advocacy and immigration. Phone (414) 389-6510 answered 24/7 with bilingual services available.
- You Are Not Alone: Brochure with referral phone numbers from Milwaukee Commission on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault.
- Aurora Health Care, Pregnancy/Infant Loss Support Group, phone (262) 434-4915.
- Burial Assistance (Milwaukee County), phone (414) 289-6059.
- Children's Hospital of Wisconsin: Bereavement Services, 9000 W. Wisconsin Ave., Wauwatosa, phone (414) 266-2995.
- Compassionate Friends, Meets 3rd Tuesdays at Oak Creek Community Center, 8580 S. Howell Ave., Oak Creek.
- Horizon Grief Resources Centers 11400 W. Lake Park Dr., Milwaukee, phone (414) 586-8383.
- Kyle's Korner, 7106 W. North Ave., Wauwatosa, phone (414) 777-1585.
- Margaret Ann's Place, 912 N. Hawley Road No. 220, Milwaukee, phone (414) 732-2663.
- Mourning Cloak, 211 N. Franklin St., Port Washington, phone (414) 704-7640.
- My Good Mourning Place, 4005 W. Oklahoma Ave., Milwaukee, phone (414) 719-5385.
- Parents of Murdered Children, 333 N. 51st St., Milwaukee, phone (414) 464-5094.
- Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare, Bereavement Community Education, phone (414) 447-2490.
Health Care Services
- Clinics and Health Departments in Milwaukee County.
- Pre-natal. Early Head Start classes for expecting parents.
- The Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council's Children/Youth with Special Health Care Needs (CYSHCN).
- Medical Assistance Medicaid, BadgerCare.
- Public Health and Information Referral Services for Women Children and Families.
- Safety Net Health Care Resource Directory: Services for uninsured and those not receiving Badger Care.
- Southeast Regional Center for Children with Special Health Care Needs.
- Wisconsin First Step, phone (800) 642-7837. An information and referral service to assist Wisconsin families and providers working with children and youth with special needs.
- Cardinal Capitol Management.
- Community Advocates.
- FAITH (women with children) and Family Abodes (men/women/couples with children). Assistance for homeless only. 711 W. Capitol Ave., phone (414) 374-2400. Must be referred from a shelter or agency.
- HUD Affordable Apartment Search.
- WI Housing Search
- MPI Property Management.
Incarcerated Family Members
- Resources for Families of Prisoners: A list of organizations providing support for families of the incarcerated and for inmates re-entering society.
- Prescription glasses for formerly incarcerated women.
- Prisoners of Hope Family Transportation: Provides transportation to families of prisoners, both men and women, from the Milwaukee area to the Wisconsin institutions. For further information contact Robin Saffold at (414) 395-7412 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wisconsin Correctional Education Association. Provides parenting resources for the incarcerated and their families and other educational resources.
Mental Health Care Services
- AJA Day Treatment Centers.
- Asha Family Services.
- (AODA) Meta House.
- Aurora Psychiatric Services.
- Cornerstone Counseling Services.
- Medical College of Wisconsin.
- Mental Health Association of Wisconsin Online service provider directory.
- Mental Health Association Resource Guide.
- Milwaukee County.
- Transitional Living Services Includes case management, housing assistance, help for those with dual diagnosis.
- Suicide Attempts Heidi's Hope is a support group for those who have attempted suicide.
- Support Groups.
- Wraparound Milwaukee Services.
Parenting and Relationships
- Family Resource Centers.
- Crisis Nursery at La Causa, phone (414) 647-5990. A place to take children during a family crisis.
- Grandparents and Other Relative Parenting Again Support Group, The Parenting Network, phone (414) 671-0566, 7516 W. Burleigh Street, 53210.
- Grandparents and Relatives Caregivers in Wisconsin: Web site with resources.
- Healthy Relationships Vow to Succeed provides classes for singles, couples, dads. Free. Check web site for schedule.
The Milwaukee Center for Children and Youth, Inc., 2004 N.
Martin Luther King Dr., phone (414) 651-8310 provides:
- Children and Family Advocacy and additional supportive services to families involved with the Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare.
- Restorative Justice circles to provide support to youth in out-of-home care.
- Nurturing Parenting Program for parents and their infants and toddlers (ages 0 to 3).
- Seeking Safety, an evidence based group to help trauma survivors build healthy coping skills.
- Resources for Fathers - BMCW Fatherhood Initiative Resources.
- Smart Baby program for young expectant mothers and mothers with disabilities and Community Living program. Milwaukee Center for Independence. Enrollment form.
- Safe Sleep for Babies Information: Each year, a number of children die in accidents related to sleeping with adults or other children. What is a safe place for baby? Safe Sleep Guidelines.
- The Parenting Network, phone (414) 671-0566, 7516 W. Burleigh Street, 53210. Hotline and parenting classes.
- Family Links' coordinator is available to listen; support parents in problem-solving; partner with them and their support system to set goals and create an action plan; and provide referrals and assistance with other resources. Phone (414) 671-0566, ask for Family Links.
- Men-to-Men Support Group: A diverse group of men who provide mutual, non-judgmental support, share life experiences – how they affect us and how we deal with it – positive parenting skills, celebrate our triumphs, seek new answers... ask new questions. Meets second and fourth Wednesday at Next Door Foundation located at 2545 North 29th Street, phone (414) 562-2929, ext. 174.
Sexual Assault /Abuse
- Child Protection Center (CPC).
- Hand-in-Hand, a Pathfinder's program.
- Sexual Abuse Sexual Assault Treatment Center.
- The Healing Center.
- Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault.
Last Revised: May 15, 2014