BMCW Quick Links:
- BMCW Home
- Report Child Abuse
- About BMCW
- BMCW Child Welfare Services
- Become a Foster or Adoptive Parent
- Milwaukee Family Resources
- Foster / Adoptive Parent Resources
- BMCW Staff Resources
- Careers in Child Welfare
- Milwaukee Child Welfare Partnership Council
Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare
Requests for Records
The Wisconsin Department of Children and Families administers programs to assist Wisconsin's children and families, including W-2, child support, child care licensing, child care assistance, adoption search and assistance. DCF also administers child welfare programs, including the Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare.
All persons may obtain information and access to DCF's public records, or obtain a copy of those records. Certain information and records are not subject to disclosure. Continuing requests are not honored. Wisconsin Statutes Sections 19.31 - 19.39 govern open records.
Wis. Stat. § 48.981(7) governs who can receive information from Child Protective Services investigation reports and is very strict about release of such information. It is not available to the general public, but only to persons and agencies and for purposes specified in the statute. Even with a signed consent to release information form from the person who is the subject of the report, it may not be possible to legally obtain this information from the Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare.
To request your child welfare records, please submit the Records Request form to the Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare, 635 North 26th St., Milwaukee, WI 53233, or email the signed form as a pdf file to DCFMilwaukeeChildWelfare@wisconsin.gov. Please provide your name, date of birth, children's names and dates of birth to help us identify the proper record. You may also make your request in person at the same address. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekdays. Please read "Receiving Records" below for information about processing time. You will need photo identification to pick up your records or arrange for them to be mailed.
DCF gives open records requests high priority and provides requested records as soon as practicable and without delay. A reasonable time for response to any specific record requests depends on the nature of the request, the staff and other resources available to process the request, the extent of the request, and whether confidential material contained in the records must be redacted.
- Location Costs. Where the cost of locating a record exceeds $50.00, the actual, necessary and direct cost of locating the record will be charged. (§. 19.35(3)(c))
- Copying Costs. DCF charges $0.25 per page for each photocopy.
- Shipping Costs. DCF charges the actual cost of shipping records to the requestor.
- Estimated Costs. When the total estimated cost for locating, redacting, photocopying and shipping exceeds $20.00, DCF may require pre-payment. The Department may waive costs below $20.00
If you have questions about obtaining records, please call (414) 343-5500.