Income Withholding

Notices to withhold support (child support, family support, medical support, and maintenance) are sent to employers. Your employer then deducts the support amount from your paycheck and sends the money to the Wisconsin Support Collections Trust Fund for processing. Employers may charge a fee to cover their costs to withhold support.

Child support may also be withheld from unemployment payments, workers’ compensation checks, pension payments, and Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) benefits.

Income Withholding Timelines
New income withholdings may take up to 30 days for support payments to start coming from employers. Here's how it works:
  • The child support agency sends a notice to the employer to withhold the support. This notice is usually sent (electronically or mailed) within 2 business days of a new court order or a reported change in employment.
  • The notice tells employers that they must start withholding support in the first pay period after getting the withholding notice.
  • After the payment is withheld from the paycheck, the employer must send the payment to the Wisconsin Support Collection Trust Fund within 5-business days from the paycheck date. Mailing time may take 1 to 3 days.
  • The payment is processed on the same date that it is received at the Trust Fund. The payment will be posted to the child support system overnight, and it can be seen on the Child Support Online Services website by 7:00 the next morning.
  • After the payment is posted in the child support system, it takes another 2-business days before the payment is posted on the debit card account or in the payee's direct deposit account.
After first income withholding:
Once income withholding is established, payments should start coming in according to the employer's payroll cycle. Almost all employers issue paychecks either weekly, every two weeks, or monthly. Keep in mind that the employer has up to 5-business days to mail the payment so support payments will not always be posted on the same day of the week.

Please Note: If you owe past-due support, the total amount stated on your income withholding notice might be more than your court order amount. The amount on your notice may increase -- up to 50% of your current support amount.

Income withholding is also used to collect Receipt and Disbursement (R&D) fees
Income withholding for R&D fees is only used when a parent does not pay the yearly fee in full or still owes R&D fees from previous years. If still owed, we will ask your employer to withhold R&D fees that are past due three times a year (spring, summer, and fall). If you have more than one employer, only one of your employers will get a R&D withholding notice.

Additional Questions Parents ask about Income Withholding

More Information for Parents Paying Support

Updated November 20, 2015

The Department of Children and Families, protecting children, strengthening families, building communities.